As with anything in life, there are pros and cons to having an artificial lawn. Though the good aspects are much more numerous, fake grass may still not be for everyone. Let’s break down the good and the bad of synthetic sod.
- Little to no maintenance – An occasional rake and rinse of faux grass seems a lot less tedious than mowing, watering, and fertilizing each week.
- Cost-effective – Artificial lawns generally pay for themselves after a few years. And for the remaining years, think about all of the money you’re saving on maintenance and upkeep costs!
- Evergreen – No more worry about brown, dead spots. Just beautiful green lawns year-round.
- Irrigation issues solved – Although it might sound contradictory since artificial turf is treated to be water-resistant, it’s still permeable. Plus, proper drainage will be addressed before installation begins. No more worrying about standing water in your yard.
- Save on resources – Speaking of water, the shortage in the western states is becoming an increasingly frequent issue. No need to worry about watering artificial lawns and you’re helping to conserve resources!
- Non-toxic and non-allergenic – Artificial turf is a great option for those with kids, pets, or grass allergies!
- Warmer than natural – Unfortunately, fake grass, even with its treatments, does heat up more than real grass. Again, the type of infill used can also add to this.
- Odor build-up – Speaking of infill, some tend to hold odors more than others. Messes that aren’t cleaned up promptly can give your grass some funk.
Many people interested in artificial turf wonder what it is about it that helps it last so long. Much of this can be attributed to the materials used to make it, the manufacturing process, and special chemical treatments to protect it against the elements. But, several other variables can affect the lifetime of fake grass too: the grade of turf materials used, how well it was installed, how much traffic it gets, and how well you take care of it.
Although estimates of longevity vary due to many factors, you can expect an artificial turf lawn to last at least 8-10 years. With high-quality turf and a little regular upkeep (raking and rinsing), you can easily expect your ever-green yard to withstand 15 to 20 years. Either way, a properly installed, quality synthetic turf yard is worth making the switch to.
Ready to get started on your own artificial lawn? The experts at Turf Monsters are here to help! We provide non-toxic, heat-resistant, 100% USA-made turf products, ensuring you get a quality product you will be happy with for years to come. Give us a call or send us an email today to get started!
Looking for a bit of inspiration when it comes to installing artificial turf in your yard? If so, check out some of our most recent projects in Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Peoria, and Scottsdale.